The Himalayan range in India has the most strenuous and exciting trekking routes that attract millions of trekkers from all across the globe. Some of the best trekking sites in the entire Indian subcontinent are Ladakh, Darjeeling, Garwhal, etc. To trek through the Himalayas, there are plenty of options. Trekking-enthusiast can trek through Kumaon, Ladakh, Garhwal and various other regions. If you are determined to trek through the Himalayas, you must know the packing essentials for trekking expeditions in the Himalayas.
Packing your backpack for trekking tour should be the priority. Your backpack should have all the essential items you may need in between.
Yet! The backpack should be light and comfortable.
Trekking expedition in the Himalayas can be exciting if you are prepared for the trip. Packing for short duration trek than a longer one is easy. Carry all safety and essential items but pack light. Some of the items mandatory to carry are:
- a pair of trekking shoes
- the windproof
- the sleeping bag
- proper jacket for warmth
- If it is a long duration trek, the rucksack can weigh around 10-12 kg. Keep this in mind that when you are trekking the mountains, every gram of weight matters. Some of the items to be included in the trekking backpack are proper clothing, rain gear, dry foodstuffs, proper sleeping bag, first aid kit, and all the needed accessories.
So, here is a detailed overview of trekking gears to carry for trekking expeditions in the Himalayas.
Clothing to keep you warm and protected
Wondering how to pack for a trek? Clothing is your first line of defense against the cold climate. Well, the climate is too unpredictable for there can be chilly winds for most of the times, while it can also be sunny during the afternoon. Carry woolen garments to stay warm for it is mandatory. While preparing your backpack for trekking expedition in the Himalayas, don’t forget to pack woolen jackets or shirts, leather jackets, cotton shorts and trousers, woolen sweater or fleece sweater, woolen socks and gloves, hooded raincoat and proper covers.
The list of trekking gears you need
There is an entire list of trekking equipment you will need while climbing the mountains. Such gears make mountain-climbing a hassle-free experience. Without the following gears, the entire expedition will be uncomfortable, and there might be injuries as well:
- Map, GPS/Compass
- Fanny pack
- eating utensils
- water bottles
- camping stove
- bowls, cups and water filter
- match boxes
- scissors and knives
- flashlight and torch
- firestarter backup
- You also need a proper hat, trekking boots, sunscreen lotion to protect from the rays of the sun.
Here are the quick tips for choosing trekking boots:
- If the hiking trail is well-kept, opt for mid-cut or low cut trekking boots
- If the trail is rough, choose ankle-high boots. Ankle-high boots provide enough comfort and protection during the day hiking
- Look for full-grain upper grain leather boots to support ankles if the terrain is swampy and you plan to move off-trail
- The weight of the boot, its making, the kind of arch support you are getting should be considered.
- look for the gusseted tongue to prevent pebbles from getting inside the boots
- the lining should be Gore-Tex waterproof membrane for much superior breathability
Some essentials you need
When trekking the Himalayas, you may get injured, or experience body aches. It is difficult to find a medical store to gain relief. Carry all the essential items you may require. It is mandatory to carry a first-aid kit in the backpack and store the following items:
- vitamin supplements
- antiseptic creams
- vinyl gloves
- Carry the necessary skincare products to protect your skin from the biting cold. Carry sunscreen lotion, moisturizer, lip balm, and an insect repellent. First-aid box and skincare products are the prime trek essentials to carry during a trekking expedition.
Snacks you should carry
Trekking checks the endurance level and the stamina of the trekker. To stay energized and to avoid energy drain, carry snacks like:
- biscuits and cookies
- water bottles
- dry fruits
- Make sure you drink water at regular intervals. The body will stay rejuvenated, fresh and energized in this way.
For those who are undertaking trekking tour to the Himalayas, they should carry some essential items like:
- a pocket knife and scissors
- toilet paper
- hiking boots
- bags to dump garbage
- writing materials
- cell phone and charger
- DSLR camera
Capture all the picture-perfect moments by using your camera. The Himalayan range has awe-inspiring and impressive natural vistas that you will love to capture. There are beautiful landscapes, snow-capped mountains, cascading waterfalls, pristine scenery and a storehouse of flora and fauna. So, don’t forget to carry extra memory cards, chargers and have power backup.
Trekking expeditions in the Himalayas is not a cup of tea. Buy a proper rucksack depending on the duration of your stay. Use a backpack or rucksack with the capacity of 45-50 liters. A rucksack of 50-liter capacity is best for a long duration trekking expedition. The 50L rucksack has sufficient space to store sleeping bag and everything else you need for your two weeks trekking tour. Follow the above list-of-items closely.